International Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan Association
Affiliated School, Affiliated School Director and Affiliated Instructor Policy
Purpose The purpose of the category of Affiliated School, Affiliated School Director and Affiliated Instructor is to
welcome into the Association qualified instructors and their schools who have an interest in being a part of the
International Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan Association to promote and teach Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan.
Proximity of Applicant’s School to a Center Before applications are reviewed for consideration, the Association will
determine if the proximity of the applicant’s
school is too near a Yang Chengfu Center and would cause a problem for Center.
The Association will always consult the nearest Center to the applicant to obtain the Center Director’s input
before proceeding with the application review.
Each case will be determined individually because the circumstances are different for each Center.
For this reason, distance from the Center cannot be the sole determiner.
Requirements Applicants for the Affiliated School Director or Instructor are required to:
- Be an Association Member
- Be of good moral character
- Follow the teacher code of ethics of the Association
- Have 10 Association members in their school
- Have a history of dedication to the art of tai chi chuan
- Have an Association Rank of 2 or higher
- Have participated in at least 3 Association Seminars taught by Master Yang Jun
- Complete an application for consideration by the Association and
- Pay an Application fee of $50
Requirements of Successful Applicants Successful Applicants are required to:
- Pay a $150 annual registration fee. (Affiliated Directors or Affiliated Instructors who are also Certified Instructors will need to pay only one annual fee); and
- Attend at least one Association seminar taught by Master Yang Jun each year or attend at least 10 hours of training each year with the Association assigned Center Director.
Affiliated Instructor, Affiliated School and Affiliated School Director
If a successful applicant currently has a school and is teaching Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan, his/her school
will be given the title of Affiliated School and the instructor will have the title of Affiliated School Director.
If an applicant currently does not have a school and he/she teaches Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan,
the applicant will be given the title of Affiliated Instructor. Affiliated Instructor can change to the
title of Affiliated School Director when he/she has (they have) established a school. His/her school then
will be considered an Affiliated School.
Support, Guidance and Evaluation Affiliated School Directors and Affiliated Instructors whose applications
are approved will receive support and guidance from the Association. The Association will assign a Center Director to
support, mentor, guide and evaluate the progress of the Affiliated School Director or Affiliated Instructor.
The Center Director will visit the Affiliated School Director or Affiliated Instructor at least once a year
for the first three years to evaluate the progress of the implementation of the curriculum of the Association.
If distance is a problem, a videotape of the Affiliated School Director or Affiliated Instructor leading and
teaching the curriculum of the Association can be a substitute for a visitation.
Benefits Affiliated School Directors or Affiliated Instructors:
- Receive a discount from the member’s price on Association Products for orders of 5 items or more of one item
- Receive a discount on regular Association Seminars
- Are allowed to attend Association’s Teachers Training
- Are allowed to attend Directors and Instructors Seminars
- Have their schools’ schedule of classes listed in the Association’s website and
- Are members of the Association’s future Instructors Community
Duties The following are the duties of Affiliated School Directors or Affiliated Instructors:
- Support the mission of the International Yang Family Style Tai Chi Chuan Association and demonstrate a strong commitment to advancing Traditional Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan;
- Support and participate in Association events e.g. China Adventures, International Tai Chi Chuan events
- Operate their school in a professional manner
- Conduct and oversee classes, workshops and seminars
- Build and maintain Association memberships
- Participate in the Association’s ranking system and
- Adhere to the Association’s Teacher Code of Ethics. (See Appendix A of Director’s Handbook for the Teacher’s Code of Ethics)
Administration The following are the administrative responsibilities of Affiliated School Directors or
- Manage International Association membership:
- Have a minimum of 10 International Association members enrolled each year. There are no penalties for having
less than 10 members if there are serious efforts to increase membership
- Complete forms for new members in full and send the membership fee in a timely manner to the International
Association. (Appendix A in Director’s Handbook contains the International Association Membership Form)
- Maintain and keep current the records of membership for their School. This includes reminding members
of renewal dates prior to expiration of membership
- Submit changes of membership information (including address, telephone or email) to the International
Association as they occur
- Distribute the Journal of the International Yang Family Style Tai Chi Chuan Association to each of their
school’s Association members
- Pay yearly dues and fees required by the International Association and
- Resolve grievances or disputes. Every effort should be made to resolve a grievance or disciplinary issue at the school level
Application form is on the download page.